Migrating Exchange 2007 to 2013 – Phase 1

We’ve been putting off migrating our Exchange 2007 server for quite some time. It’s been running great. I rarely have had to troubleshoot any problems (maybe twice a year). I took the training provided by Microsoft from one of our local training facilities. The class was titled Core Solutions of Microsoft Exchange Server 2013. But you know that was two years ago! So my new found knowledge went unused and most of it has been filed away in the archives of my brain. Luckily the company decided they would pay for a consultant to come in and help. That brings a lot of relief to me. Yes I know Exchange, but I’m not an expert. Sometimes I consider myself a Jane of All Trades and this is one of those technologies that fits under that umbrella. But regardless, I’m excited!

Phase 1 – Prepare the environment

I’m using a Dell M610 blade server as the new Hyper-v Host for housing our new Exchange server. Yes, I use Hyper-V. When we jumped on the virtual bandwagon years ago we decided to go with Hyper-V because of its cost effectiveness. You may want to skip to Phase 2 if you’re not interested in how I configured the Hyper-V host.

Server has the following:

  1. 2 x Intel Xeon x5672 @ 3.2 GHz
  2. QLogic Fibre Channel mezzanine card.
  3. 32 GB Memory (4 x 4GB DIMMs)
  4. Installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.
  5. Configured a static IP address on one of the NICs, joined the domain and activated Windows.
  6. In Windows Firewall I made the following changes:
    • Allowed File and Printer sharing for the Domain profile only. This allows me to ping and gain remote access to the server.
    • We use a Dell Compllent for SAN storage so I created new Inbound rule on Windows Firewall called “Compellent Server Agent” to allow communication through ports 27355 and 8080. This allows the agent to run without turning off the firewall.
  7. Ran Windows Updates.
  8. Downloaded and ran the latest Dell Server Update Utility v15.04.00 to update drivers and firmware.
  9. Installed BgInfo, enabled Remote Desktop, and configured SNMP.
  10. Configured zones and alias on our Brocade SAN switches.
  11. In the Compellent System Manager, I created the server and mapped a new 500 GB volume.
  12. Installed MPIO​ and .NET 3.5 (which includes .NET 2.0) since it’s a requirement for the Compellent agent.
  13. Opened MPIO from Control Panel, added the Compellent controller to the Discovery tab and rebooted.
  14. Installed the Compellent Server agent and added the server to the Enterprise Manager.
  15. Rescanned disks in Disk Management, initialized the volume and added a new Simple Volume, labeled it G:
  16. Installed the Hyper-V role with the following settings during setup and then rebooted.
  17. I configured the virtual switch on the 2nd Ethernet adapter, Ethernet 2 (no ip address assignment necessary)image
  18. I set the default stores to the G: drive. image
  19. Installed our Barracuda Backup Agent and SCEP (system center endpoint protection) client.
  20. Added the new server to Virtual Machine manager and it required yet another reboot. Geez! image
  21. Rebooted AGAIN!! VMM stated that”Warning (26211) A restart is required to complete claiming of multi-path I/O devices on host hostname.domain.com. Recommended Action
    Restart the machine.” Ha! Reboot.
  22. image
  23. Rebooted. Ran Windows updates again since it has a new role. Installed more updates and rebooted.
  24. Ok now I’m finally to the point where I can create the VM. So I used Microsoft Virtual Machine Manager since I already have VM templates configured.
  25. I configured the VM to have the below settings.
  26. Configured a static IP address, joined the domain and activated Windows.
  27. Ran Windows Updates.
  28. Copied the Exchange 2013 SP1 .ISO file to the new VM

VM Settings:

  • 24 GB Memory
  • 4 x virtual processors
  • Drives:
    • C: – 60 GB – operating system
    • M: – 250 GB – databases
    • L: – 100 GB – logs
  • no high availability since this Hyper-V host is not in a cluster.

Done! Ready for next week!